Finland’s Food Tourism Strategy 2020-2028
- Developing Finnish food tourism with top products
- Encouraging the creation of combination products and food tourism routes
- Promoting the competitiveness of tourism and food industries
- Supporting the raising of quality standards
- Improving the image of Finnish food culture
- Building an active national food tourism network.
- Taste of place, Eat local and sense Finland!
- Pure & Natural, Eat slow and healthy in Finland!
- Cool and creative from Finland, Eat wild and happy in Finland!
- Sustainable and responsible business
- Product development
- Strategic partnerships
- Marketing, sales and communication
Hungry for Finland – Developing products for food tourism 2018 - 2021
Hungry for Finland – Developing Products for Food Tourism is a project which aims to complement regional and local projects by developing common, shared tools and sparring.
For its participants, the project promotes customer and market understanding, competence development for international projects and exports, sustainability in food tourism, and creating openings in international markets with food tourism experiences as tourism products.
Networking among participants strengthens through themes crossing regional borders. The aim is to gain regional visibility for food tourism both in Finland and internationally, as well as to create combination products with food as one of the main attractions.
The target group of the project includes actors involved in food tourism development such as regional tourism organizations and regional projects focusing on food tourism. The end consumers who will benefit from the project are both Finnish and international tourists.
The project aims to create criteria for the top products of Hungry for Finland H4F. These criteria are used to create a family of H4F products for international markets.
In 2019 there will be a nationwide Hungry for Finland food tourism competition with the aim of developing new tourism products for international markets and creating new ideas for further development. The activities of the nationwide food tourism network will be developed further to form sustainable operations.
Project Manager: Kristiina Havas
Duration: 3 Sep. 2018 – 2 Sep. 2021
Financing: European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development
Food Tourism Trends 2020
Food Tourism Trends 2020 (esignals.fi)
Food & tourism project 2012 - 2017
In the first phase of the FOOD&TOURISM project in Finland 14 case companies were visited and best practices researched during the years 2012-2013. Over 200 students of Haaga-Helia UAS participated and were given a valuable opportunity to learn in real-life cases and carrying out their thesis studies. The aim of the first phase was to create tangible, useful tools for tourism entrepreneurs with the help of a semi-scientific approach.
Finland’s first Food Tourism Strategy 2015-2020
With the help of the research phase, the first FOOD&TOURISM strategy for Finland was built in co-operation with several operators in May 2014- Jan 2015. The strategy was coordinated by Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and the assignment was commissioned by Visit Finland and the Ministry of Agriculture and Forest.
The aims are:
- to build active national networks
- define the roles of operators and have shared common goals for the future
- develop food tourism with the help of best products
- to communicate widely to all participants, operators and customers about our core products and processes
The key issues in developing Finnish food tourism are:
- Taste of place, Finnish origin and way of life taste good
- Pure pleasure, pure Finnish food is good for the body and soul
- Cool and creative from Finland, internationally renowned culinary experience
The primary actions in promoting Finnish food tourism are:
- product development of spearhead products
- strategic partnerships
More information: Finland’s first Food Tourism Strategy 2015-2020
We introduced and familiarized Finnish FOOD&TOURSIM strategy with help of H4F workshops, especially for tourism operators and developers working in the field. During the years, 2015-2017, there were workshops in the several regions of Finland. At the same time we developed the food product of Finnish museums and events in co-operation with Finnish Museums Association and Finland Festivals organization.
For further inquiries:
firstname.lastname@example.org, Senior Lecturer of Tourism, Project Manager
email@example.com, Senior Lecturer of Research Methods, Project Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org, Head of R&D, Project Consultant